Visiting Research Scholar •
University Of California, Berkeley •
Email: yhuag AT connect DOT ust DOT hk
I have graduated from The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology with First-class honor in Computer Science (2018), and currently as a visiting scholar at University Of California, Berkeley - Blockchain X-Lab. I am working on several blockchain research supervised by Professor Pan Hui: smart contract exploits, contract-level consensus, and decentralized oracles. I interned in Augmedix (San Francisco, 2016) on fullstack integration, and J.P. Morgan Chase (Hong Kong, 2017) on computational linguistics. I was an exchange student at the École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (Switzerland, 2017) studying reinforcement learning and pattern recognition.
Google Scholar, Github, LinkedIn, Medium
Distributed consensus, security exploits, game theory, and cryptotgraphy.
 Yao-Chieh Hu, Ting-Ting Lee, Dimitris Chatzopoulos, and Pan Hui. 2018. “Hierarchical interactions between Ethereum smart contracts across Testnets.” In CRYBLOCK’18: 1st Workshop on Cryptocurrencies and Blockchains for Distributed Systems, June 15, 2018, Munich, Germany. ACM, New York, NY, USA, 6 pages. Best Paper Award.
 Yao-Chieh Hu, Ting-Ting Lee, Dimitris Chatzopoulos, and Pan Hui. 2019. “Analyzing Smart Contract Interactions and Contract Level State Consensus,” In Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience (WILEY) Journal, 2019.
 Yao-Chieh Hu, Ting-Ting Lee, and Chungsang Lam. 2019. “A Risk Redistribution Standard for Practical Cryptocurrency Payment,” in 2019 IEEE International Conference on Decentralized Applications and Infrastructures. DAPPCON 2019. Newark, USA, Apr. 2019.
- Best Paper / CryBlock’18, MobiSys, ACM / Munich, Germany (2018)
- Research Award / HKUST RTG Research Honor / Hong Kong, China (2018)
- Finalist Honor / Mr Armin and Mrs Lillian Kitchell HKUST Research Award / Hong Kong, China (2018)
- Sponsorship Prize / ETH San Francisco, ConsenSys / San Francisco, CA, USA (2018)
- 3rd Place / VXCTF Cybersecurity Competition / Hong Kong, China (2018)
- 2nd Place / Seoul UpTown E-commerce Competition / Seoul, South Korea (2018)
- Gold Prize / FinTech Awards 2017 / Hong Kong, China (2017)
Machine Learning and Others
- Silver Medal / KDnuggets Top Posts on Machine Learning / San Francisco, CA, USA (2018)
- World 20 Finalists / Atos IT Challenge on Chatbot / Paris, France (2018)
- Championship / Digital China Smart City Exhibition Finals / Hong Kong, China (2017)
- 2nd Place / Microsoft Imagine Cup Regional Final / Hong Kong, China (2017)
- Championship / UBER-HKUST Elevator Pitch Contest / Hong Kong, China (2017)
- 3rd Place / Microsoft Artificial Intelligence Cup / Hong Kong, China (2016)
- Championship / JEDI Algorithm Arena Contest / Hong Kong, China (2015)
- 7th Place / International World Robot Olympiad / Busan, South Korea (2008)
- Full HKUST Recruitment Scholarship, HKUST
- HKSAR Talent Development Scholarship, Hong Kong SAR Government
- YUNEEC Outstanding Engineering Student Award, YUNEEC, 2 awardees/year
- HK-TW Education Exchange Scholarship, HK & MC TW CHARITY FUND, 10 awardees/year
- HKSAR Reaching Out Award, Hong Kong SAR Government
- Asynchronous State Consensus Across Smart Contracts / Blockchain Open Technology Forum / Hsinchu, Taiwan
- Ethereum Smart Contract Honeypots / TDOH Conference 2018 / Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- Asynchronous State Consensus Across Smart Contracts / FCG’18 Conference / Shanghai, China
- Hack the hackers: Ethereum smart contract honeypots / HITCON’18 / Taipei, Taiwan
- Hierarchical interaction between Ethereum smart contracts across testnets / CryBlock’18 / Munich
- Blockchain introduction in a story of village / BlockTempo Meetup / Taipei, Taiwan
- Write and deploy your first smart contract in 30 minutes / SELF Bar / Taipei, Taiwan
- Write and deploy your first token smart contract / BlockCity Conference / Taipei, Taiwan
- Write and deploy your first smart contract in 30 minutes / HKUST Tech Club / Hong Kong, China
- The Distributed Web - IPFS Explanation and Demo / Taipei Ethereum Meetup / Taipei, Taiwan
- Ethereum ERC860 Standard and The Neon Network / Blockchain Technology Conference / Hong Kong, China
- IOTA Tangle Whitepaper and Security Vulnerabilities / IOTA Chinese Meetup / Taipei, Taiwan
- Instructor at Online Course (3 hours):
- A widely-adopted beginner course in collaboration with several universities in Taiwan.
- Assistant Instructor at IEEE Full-stack Blockchain Development Tutorial:
- A blockchain tutorial course co-located with five other IEEE conferences in 2019.
- Location: East Bay, San Francisco, California, USA
- Sole Instructor at Online course (2.7 hours):
- Introduction to Ethereum Smart Contract Development / TibaMe Technology MOOC Platform, Taiwan
- Sole Instructor at Classroom course (2 days):
- End-to-end Ethereum Smart Contract Crash Course / National Taipei University of Business, Taipei
- Series A, B are completed. Series C on its way in 11/2018.
- Assistant Unstructor at Bootcamp course (2 days):
- Blockchain Bootcamp on smart contracts development / National Taipei University of Technology, Taipei
- BTC - ETH Cross Chain Atomic Swap
- A cross-chain atomic token swap environment built upon ConsenSys Liquality chain abstraction layer.
- Winner of ETH San Francisco ConsenSys Sponsorship prize (2018). Devpost, Youtube demo video
- The Neon Network: E-coupon on Blockchain
- A framework for digital coupons issuing, transferal, and redemption on Ethereum blockchain.
- Winner of EtNet FinTech Awards (Hong Kong, 2017) and UpTown E-commerce Competition (Seoul, 2018)
- An blockchain collectible game on Tron blockchain thats for photographers and models industry.
Open Source Contribution
Writer of Hackernoon, The Startup, Coinmonks, Toward Data Science, Taipei Ethereum Meetup, and 3 Minutes Blockchain Paper.
Entrepreneurships and Growth
Community and Organization
- CEO & Founder at Turing Chain Ltd. (Blockchain Security) Apr. 2018 – Present
- CTO & Co-Founder at GiftVIVA Ltd. (Gifting E-commerce Marketplace) Sep. 2017 – Mar. 2018
- CTO & Co-Founder at Peachy Travel (Travel Technology) Feb. 2016 – Dec. 2016
- First HKUST-Silicon Valley intern: 大公報, HKUST, 晴報, 經濟通, 明報新聞網, 每日明報, 星島日報, 文匯報, 國家教育研究院國際教育訊息電子報, 明報加國版, 東網, 長青網, 名聲報多倫多版, 香港新浪, CHINA DAILY Asia
- Author of ERC860 standard: MIT Technology Review, DeepTech深科技, 數位時代 BUSINESS NEXT, BlockTempo動趨動區, 騰訊網, Amazon, ET Net, SINA財經頭條, Mark BTC, BB Foot, 0x1 Academy, SelfToken, 中國播報網, WDZJ, PHB Top, Time Tio, Style Gril, 微力無邊, You Jun Jie, INSIDE, Ifeng, 頭條科技, 壹讀, Campus Up, BTB8, 幣乎, Chain One BBS, Blackbird.AI, Bookshelfs, BTB8, State of the DApps
- Author of ERC1586 standard: Week In Ethereum News
- Author of an IEEE DappCon’19 Paper: BHCLIP.COM
- Founder of Turing Chain Ltd.: UC Berkeley SCET, Yahoo News - Technology, LINE TODAY, National Tsing Hua University, PChome, CBS Channel 8, KSNV, Las Vegas Now, Bitnance, Blocktimes, Medium, Tumblr, Links Fin, Bitool, MeetHub
- Startup VC Pitch and Visits at Seoul: Naver
- 2nd Place at Microsoft Imagine Cup HK Regional: HKUST Entrepreneurship Centre
- Full Mark at Taiwanese Univeristy Entry Exam(0.2%): China Times, Liberty Times Net, 聯合新聞網, 一點通學習
- Magazines: 0xmag
- CryptoBeauty: BlockTempo, Medium, 每日頭條, 慢錢頭條, 比特幣小白, Panda
- 0x1 Academy: PTT, HKUST Tech Club, Blocktimes, Chain News, Matters, Bunny Pub, Crypto What Now
- Technology: 區塊文摘, Taipei Ethereum Meetup, HK Challenge Plus, Smart Signature